School Hair


Today, I had finally recovered enough from my economy class flight from Dubai to Seoul to make the one-hour subway trip to Myeong-dong. I was in desperate need of a massage and I wanted to try out a new hair styling technique. During my stay in Oman I didn't use any type of heat styling. Our hotel didn't have a hair dryer, and I didn't feel like buying one. After a few weeks, I noticed that my hair had stopped falling out. Now my hair is really thick and shiny, and I want it to stay that way.
Towards the end of last year, I noticed that the ladies in my university classes had started wearing old school hair curlers, the hard plastic pink variety. I often looked up to see the girls wearing these pink curlers in their bangs. It made me laugh. When I was a child, my grandmothers used to wear curlers to bed every night. On special occasions, when they wanted me to look especially nice, my grandmothers would roll my wild hair into soft spongy pink curlers with hard plastic snaps. Now as a adult, I too want my unruly hair tamed, so I am ready to give curlers another try.
In Korea, the go to place for beauty supplies is the Olive Young chain. My favorite Olive Young is a two floor shop in Myeong-dong. Lucky me! They were having a sale. To get to this girlie girl's heaven on earth, walk straight down the middle of Myeong-dong from Myeong-dong Station exit 4. When you get to the corner with the Myeong-dong Theater, turn right. Olive Young is on the next corner.
In my opinion, the best thing about Olive Young is the selection of Japanese beauty tools. After heading upstairs to buy an iced americano at the cafe, I went in search of curlers in the beauty tools section on the first floor. They had four different types from which to choose. I tried to take photos inside to post, but I was prevented from doing so. I can only show you my purchases.
The results:
The Japanese foam curlers I ended up buying are basically yellow foam balls. They look a lot like stringless yo-yos. According to the instructions, I was supposed to wrap my hair around the part of the curler where the string would go on a yo-yo, and then twist. It was fairly easy. The pack I bought only contained six curlers. I have medium length, thick hair, and six rollers really wasn't enough to wrap all of my hair. I rolled my hair dry from the ends, and left the layers on top loose. When I was finished, I then sprayed my head with Shiseido Tsubaki Water. The resulting style made me look like a silent film star.